BullRunMike’s Rig 2.0

What’s up BGOR crew? I’m Mike, founder of Bull Run 4x4, Inc. in Haymarket, VA. I sold my old rig the Jeep Republicon to Bill. I really shouldn’t have done that but hind sight is 20/20 as they say. I said I was done with wheeling and was only going to build everyone else’s junk for a while. Well that lasted a whole 6 months and I just picked up a 2012 JKUR on 38’s.

I’ve already done the following upgrades to it:

• 5.13 Yukon Gears
  • RCV front axle shafts
  • Adams 1310 CV Driveshafts (F+R)
  • Quadratec Aluminum Skidplates
  • Poison Spyder Rock Sliders
  • Barnes 4WD 1.5" aluminum steering & drag link flip
  • MetalCloak 3.5" RockSport lift (Removed the old TeraStiff 3.5 kit)
  • Custom pin stripes compliments of the Cove

Future plans for the Jeep in early 2020 include:

• GenRight Cage with X behind the seats
  • Fusion 4x4 Elite Kingpin 60/14B axles
  • Raceline Wheels & Some sort of 40" tires to keep it streetable

Been in the Jeep world for over 20 years. Been going to the Cove for 19 of those 20 years camping, wheeling, shooting and blowing up microwaves, washers, dryers and other large objects with a considerable amount of shrapnel at the range there with 2, 3, 4 and 5 lb buckets on tannerite. Well until they got a range master and then all the fun stopped.

I like Jeeps. I like to wheel, drink beer, tell inappropriate jokes and fix peoples Jeeps for money. I guess that’s better than standing on the corner for money, right?

Bill forced me to introduce myself on the forum or else he said he would share all of the bootyfab work he finds on my old Jeep with all of you and blame it all on me. :slight_smile: lol

Nice to eMeet you fowkers!

1 Like

Welcome, Mike. And yes all Booty Fab on your old Jeep will be pinned on you! The list is long…lol

1 Like

Welcome Mike

1 Like

Welcome to the shit show Mike. We met when Bill picked up the Republicon from you. Looking forward to wheeling and drinking some beer with you!

2 Likes

Welcome Mike. I just finished building and selling a one ton JK so I feel your pain with selling your rig. Looking forward to getting out and wheeling with you.

1 Like

Thanks guys!

I am trying to free up my schedule to come hang with you guys soon. We were planning on going wheeling the first weekend in Dec as well with my little group so maybe we can hit some trails together or have a beer around the fire on Sat night at the Cove.

Now that I sold my crawler hauler setup, I need to figure out a trailer setup for the new rig. I still have my 2107 SuperDuty like Bill has but no trailer. Can’t decide if I want to do another gooseneck with a pop up camper on It this time for the whole family to enjoy or another enclosed trailer like I had before. Decisions!!!

0 Likes

Haven’t posted much lately. Been super busy with the shop, my day job and now coaching the kids baseball team for the Fall…

However I started building my 1 tons for the Jeep. I’m building a set of 05+ SuperDuty axles with the D60 up front and the Sterling 10.5 out back. Just ordered my ARTEC Apex truss system for both axles. I’m stuffing them with Yukon 5.38’s and Ox lockers with the electric actuators. I debated on going with ARB but I don’t feel like dealing with leaking air lines. We’ve fixed countless Jeeps since the shop opened with ARB issues but never one Ox locker issue yet, so that’s what steered me away from ARB. I’ve had the Ox setup before in an old XJ of mine and the only thing I didn’t like was the cable shifters. Now that all goes away with the electric actuator setup.

I’m pulling the trigger on a GenRight cage in the next week or two then I start motor shopping. I can’t stand not having an LS in a Jeep anymore so that’s where I’m headed. Probably do a 6.0 or 6.2 with a 6L80e trans so I can do paddle shifters on the steering wheel for a cool factor. Then probably another Atlas in this rig.

I do miss my old TJ that Bill has on days I go out wheeling and I’m following buggies but the current Jeep has really impressed me with what it can do on 1/2 ton axles and 38’s. Can’t wait to go to 43” stickies, tons and an LS in the new Jeep! Hoping it’s a game changer on the trail.

1 Like

Can’t wait to see it when it’s done!

0 Likes

Nice man, look forward to seeing it on the trails.

0 Likes

The GenRight cage showed up last week. Time to start stripping the Jeep down so I can prep it for the cage work. Can’t wait to have a real cage in the JKUR. I think I’m doing to ditch the dash connectors and do DOM from the dash cross bar down to the floor/frame for the A pillar. I’m not a fan of all the plates and connectors it has on the side of the dash.

1 Like

Did you get that done before the event this weekend?

0 Likes

I didn’t have time. Ben got his all done and it looks pretty sweet though.

0 Likes

I’m getting started on the cage work. Should take about 3-4 days to knock it out. It will be in for AOAA but my axles won’t be ready yet.

I also pulled the trigger on 40 spline inner/out 1550 chromoly front axle shafts with Branik 1550 billet solid u joints, an Eaton e-locker, 5.38’s, ARTEC APEX truss Kit, Install Kit and HD diff cover for my 05+ SuperDuty 60.

I need to figure out what hubs and what high steer I want to do yet. Maybe the Barnes4WD weld on kit?

Also ordered a Yukon spool, 5.38’s, Yukon chromoly rear axle shafts and the ARTEC Apex truss kit for the rear.

I’ll need some 1410 Adams Driveshafts still and my polished Racelines and 43” TSL Stickies.

My goal is to have all that done by spring time and start going more places than the Cove. I’m over it after 20 years of the same scenery.

3 Likes

Order the tires now, they are always on back order, at least 6 months normally. That’s why I went Mickey Thompson Pro X, came right away.

0 Likes

Goforth has them in stock

0 Likes

I ended up going with Mickey Thompson 43” stickies on Racelines…

1 Like

Started disassembling the Jeep today. @Tatonka Dan came by and scooped up my old wheels and tires today at the shop.

I pulled off the mangled Quadratec aluminum skid plates and had to cut off the first cross member because it was bent up so bad.

I figured while it was up on the lift, it would be a good time to change the transfer case fluid since I dropped the skids. It was clean as a whistle but better safe than sorry.

I ordered a new MOPAR OEM gas tank skid so I can replace what’s lefts of mine now. $530 bucks for the OEM one. Ouch. I didn’t think it was going to be that much. Add it to the list, right? Ugh.

I also pulled the front driveshaft and put some OEM JK rollers on it so I can move it around.

I ended up getting the Evo Mfg EVO-1200 long arm kit. I’ll have Summit Julene make me some aluminum lower links for it. Tomorrow I have to call PSC and place the order for the steering setup.

I’m still undecided on what knuckles and high steer to run. I’m thinking Reid’s and just getting the Fusion 2.5 ton aluminum steering setup.

My axles should be finished up in about a week or two. Then it’s time for some chop chop wiggy wiggy over the Christmas break.

1 Like

I already knew these tires were good watching Bill wheel with them. Riding with Ben this weekend and seeing how the 37" radial did, I am really impressed. Those things hook up on everything!

1 Like

Here is my 30 day transformation. It didn’t skip leg day at the gym this time around. It’s a roller but still a metric shit ton of work left to do on it. It still needs driveshafts installed, aluminum lower links, the Dodge Ram 2500 master cylinder installed, brakes bled, the 14Bolt still needs converted over to a 40 spline setup and I need to reset up the gears since I’m doing a 40 spline ARB locker now to keep the ABS happy out back. I also need to figure out some clearance issues for the steering as the straight rod ends aren’t working. My tie rod is hitting the diff cover at about 2/3 Left or 2/3 Right so I’m going to get some Barnes offset rod ends to try and fix that issue.

I also need a new custom exhaust bent up by the guys over at Hi Flow in Manassas. I’m doing true duals so I can eliminate the cross over exhaust that limits down travel on the JK’s and JL’s. I should gain another 5-6” of down travel with the new exhaust.

Maybe in 3-4 weeks it will be ready to go for a ride to test everything out.

2 Likes

Almost ready for a trail ride. A few things left to do then it’s game time!

3 Likes