John's Rubicon 2.0

trail

Purchased May 18th, 2019

4 weeks to get it ready for Moab. Spent the first week deciding what I wanted and then started ordering. Was super stressed that everything would get delivered in time for me to install.

Already had new beadlocks and tires that I had intended to run on the JK:

The first part to arrive was this overhead MOLLE panel from https://www.molle-platform-solutions.com/ this is where I will mount the CB

Not pictured but with help from Bill, I installed the Mopar Auxilary switches and activated the feature in the Uconnect system with the Tazer JL

Rancho glibe plate for the front diff.

ARB Classic stubby bumper with a Smittybilt winch

I wasn’t too excited about any of the tire carrier solutions currently out. EVO has powder coat issues, Motobilt comes raw, ACE was 5 to 6 weeks out on delivery, and the Mopar is way overpriced and absolutely does not reinforce the hinges.

I really liked Teraflex’s new carrier but they still don’t have a tailgate hinge reinforcement. I decided that I would go ahead and get the Teraflex carrier and roll with the Rugged ridge tailgate reinforcement until Teraflex releases theirs.

Stock carrier with RR reinforcement:

Had to drill and tap to install the CoolTech CB Antenna mount

President Electronics Bill CB installed

Metalcloak True Dual Rate 3.5" lift installed:

Teraflex Tire Carrier Installed

ARB Knock-off Intensity LEDs from Amazon

Also installed the Metalcloak undercloak, rear diff slider, FAD skid, and ARB Dual compressor (from the JK) with the 4-tire air-up system from Innovative JK Products

Had to cut an inch off of the front of the Rubicon rails because the tires were rubbing at full lock.

Still a few little things to finish up before we head out on Saturday morning but its come together pretty well. Big thanks to Jeremy and Ken for getting me parts super quick, Bill, Billy, and Michael for all the install help. Also a shout out to VISA and Mastercard, couldn’t have done with without you.

1 Like

Rock lights done

1 Like

Hot damn looks beautiful

1 Like

Thank you!

0 Likes

Jeep looks great! I have the RR tire carrier, it’s strong but you’d think they would’ve made a spot for the cb antenna, I had to drill one in as well but I like where you put yours better.

0 Likes

Looks great! Love that overhead rack.

0 Likes

Washed and packed for Moab

1 Like

Sweet rig John! Please consider removing your rear bumper before your trip this week. If you’ve watched Lite Brite’s videos or Eddie’s from Wayalife if you hit/drag your rear bumper it will come up and damage your rig! If I remember correctly Lite Brite dragged their bumper at Chinaman Gulch and it damaged their rig pretty badly. Have fun on your trip!

0 Likes

Yeah I saw that. Didn’t have time to deal with license plate relocation so going to roll the dice with the bumper. At least mine is plastic. Pretty sure they have the steel bumpers

0 Likes

A few more mods since last update:

• Removed the rear bumper since it is missing a few plastic bits after the Moab trip and fabbed up a license plate mount on the rear frame.

• Installed RK rear spring correction pads

• Installed Synergy drag link and tie rod along with a steer smarts raised track bar bracket. Drilled the knuckle for high-steer. Since the knuckles are aluminum it so much easier to drill out.

1 Like

Installed a Currie Antirock and chopped off the crash bar/frame tusks last week

0 Likes

Looks good

0 Likes

PSC installed but it was not without its problems. Fought some leaks and other issues from a hasty install. Since I was going out of town for a week reluctantly dropped it at a shop to have them button everything up.

0 Likes

How you like the Antirock?

0 Likes

Sorry Bill, never saw this response. Like the antirock. I really don’t notice it on-road anymore and offroad I feel like it’s more stable when off camber.

0 Likes

Replaced the passenger side unit bearing (at only 11k miles). Fusion tie rod, cmm clamp, new ram, and replaced PSC cooler. No more leaks but still getting some noise from the system at full lock or when the steering is bound up in the rocks.

1 Like

Looks :fire: John! That aluminum rod is sexy

0 Likes

Relocated the rear shocks with the MC brackets and cut about an inch off of the rear CA brackets:

Since the control arm brackets no longer had their original shape I had to cut and bend the Artec skids to fit

Finished product after grinding down my shitty welds (upside down welding on the garage floor sucks!)

Big tanks to Michael for all his help and welding on the front skids

2 Likes

Good work with the welder boys!

0 Likes

Looks great!! What other rig do I see in the background?

0 Likes