Need help diagnosing “wandering” and oversteer

Got the Jeep back from PowerHouse after blowing the inner axle seal last time we went to The Cove and am now wondering if I might have damaged something else. I feel like the Jeep is wandering at speeds above 20mph and she oversteers into turns. I know that I finally bent my aluminum tie rod, but I have the toe adjusted back to 1/8” in again and the wheel is straight. I’ve played with tire pressure and replaced a couple of bent shocks but that didn’t change things much. Took it to High Tech today to have the alignment checked almost hoping to find the caster out of whack but it’s solid at 5*… so I’m stumped. They wanted to sell me an alignment and throw parts at it with no guarantee that they had IDd the issue ( recommended a new tie rod and new LCAs because my bushings look soft) but I don’t love that approach.

So - anyone really good at diagnosis? I’m in Reston but am willing to come to you as long as it doesn’t involve wandering the Jeep down the road at highway speeds for too long. Nothing to do tomorrow or Sunday if anyone is free.

0 Likes

Is the tire rod still bent? I know you fixed the alignment but I wonder if the tire rod is flexing since it was weakened and causing issues.

0 Likes

Possible I suppose. It’s one of many things I’d like to look at but need a second person so that one can turn the wheel while the other checks that and the rest of the list of things like bushings etc…

0 Likes

First things first, get a buddy, have them turn the wheel just a few degrees back and forth while you’re under the Jeep looking at all your steering components. See if anything looks like it’s not turning/moving together, any joints on the TREs, drag link ends, etc… look like they’re binding or have a ton of play.

Also check that when the wheel is barely moved, you get some movement from the pitman arm. Could be a steering box if it takes a lot of steering movement to get some movement out of the pitman arm.

I doubt it’s a track bar or track bar mounting holes wallowed out, as you’d probably get some DW if that was the case.

Sorry I can’t come over to help, but keep us posted on what you’ve tried and what looks weird.

Jeremy

0 Likes

Thanks Jeremy - that’s the plan! I do have a PSC box in and it’s less than a year old so prolly not the steering box.

Question - would I have whomever helpes out turn the wheel with the engine running to get the power boost from the box or just turn it with the engine off?

Colorado is a bit far so… anyone local available?

0 Likes

Yeah man, turn it on so your getting the full force of the steering on all the components. If it’s the big bore than we can almost rule that out.

And I’m in Hawaii, a little further than CO, but a quick plane ride.

0 Likes

Dan, I am happy to help but, not sure when I can do so. Maybe Sunday. Where do you live?

0 Likes

Hawaii would be nice right now!

I remember when I had TJs people would write about upgraded boxes flexing the frame where they bolted em on. Something else to watch fir with the PSC or not a thing on JKs?

0 Likes

Bill - I’m in the Reston/ Vienna area but willing to travel. You?

0 Likes

I am between Gainesville and Warrenton in Vint Hill Farms

0 Likes

I’m happy to come out your way. She wanders some but it’s not completely unsafe. Let me know if / when you are available.

0 Likes

This sounds simplistic and I’m sure you have already thought of this but is everything torqued to spec? I mean everything. Steering box to frame, draglink, tierod, trackbar, control arms etc.

0 Likes

I have checked the majority of it but do need to go back through meticulously and make sure to get it all. Thanks for the reminder - that’s a thing I can do on my own so will tackle it today.

0 Likes

So I spent the morning re-torquing EVERYTHING I could get a wrench onto, rotated the tires, and re-set the toe-in a tad. The net effect is that it feels better on the road … I think. It’s one of those things where either it’s still off and I’ve gotten used to how it feels, or it’s not really that off but I’m paying too much attention to it while I’m driving and perceiving stuff that might not be real?

In any case - it’s a minimal problem now.

Next step is to look at replacing that bent tie rod in case it is flexing while I’m driving. I called Barnes4wd to look into the cost of just replacing the rod itself (not the ends) and they offered to replace it for only $50. Pretty sweet deal considering how hard I’ve been on it. I was honest and told them I’ve beaten the snot out of it but they stood by their commitment to replace it cheaply and they want the bent one back so that they can quality test it. Pretty good service if you ask me.

So I’ll replace the rod, get her aligned, and go from there.

0 Likes

Happy it’s getting worked out. Keep us posted if there are any updates.

Sounds like Barnes4WD has solid customer service. I’ll check out their website.

0 Likes

Glad to hear its better. Hit me up Sunday if you still need help.

0 Likes

Hey Bill - I’m going to get the new tie rod installed (next week probably) before I pursue looking any closer at things. Ill let you know if it needs further examination or not.

1 Like

Sure you don’t have a JL?? Hahaha

0 Likes