Project Billdozer aka "Red Jeep"

trail

Just a place holder, will begin this blog soon! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

0 Likes

So, picked this TJ up from Mike Miller. Was debating on building a TJ this winter then decided to buy one instead in order to save money and time. Still wasn’t planning to buy until the winter but when this went up for sale and given I knew the owner, I wanted to grab it now.

This is a 1998 TJ with the following:
LS V8
ORI Struts (14" front/ 16" rear)
1990 Ford Superduty Kingpin D60 up front /Spool/ 5.13 gears
1987 GM 14 Bolt rear / Spool /5.13 gears
42" Pit Bull tires on Steel beadlocks
Atlas Transfer Case
1350 driveshaft
3 link front
4 link rear
Custom one off cage

There is more, I will start a build sheet at some point, but wanted to get this going.

For now, I am not going to do anything mechanically other than replace the tie rod. I am planning to 4 link and stretch the front a bit more and go full hydro later this year. Also thinking through what lockers I want.

1 Like

Can’t wait to see it in Moab :+1:t3:

1 Like

Had to replace the tie rod and torch out a couple of seized bolts, courtesy of Chad Detwiler, then we played around with flex and posing.

0 Likes

Added some KilMat and marine carpet to the floor board to minimize heat and make it look better. Then added some Rock Lights.

0 Likes

Added a CB, rotopax mounts, an ARB 12V outlet for the ARB fridge and a Spiderwebshade.

1 Like

Carpet looks good. Hopefully that and the Killmat keep the heat down.

0 Likes

Hoping it does the trick, we’ll see soon enough!

0 Likes

Heat was still a little issue. Will need to do some kind of heat shield under the tub and re-route the exhaust out the back somehow. Not a major concern for now.

Had to replace the old Ram, it was just too bent out of shape and that caused me to blow up a steering box in MOAB by blowing out the lower seals on the sector shaft. Replaced/ported a 99 TJ box in MOAB.

0 Likes

New Adams,1350 Drive shafts after snapping the old front one in half on Crucible at Rausch Creek.

1 Like

Ordered new wheels and tires for the winter build. Pretty fired up about these.

Reid knuckles and an ARB locker going in the front axle along with a stretch of the front end and all new CA brackets and arms.

1 Like

Keeping the rear spool for now? It seemed to do well at moab with both ends spooled but I imagine on east coast rocks that could get old fast.

0 Likes

Yes rear will stay the same for now

0 Likes

So, the winter build begins…

0 Likes

I miss my old rig. Glad it’s getting some new life breathed into it. I shouldn’t have ever sold it to you. I was being a whiny little bitch after I had to replace the trans twice. Damn it. Now I’m kicking myself for being said little bitch. Lol

2 Likes

Those tires are crazy. Can’t wait to see them in action.

0 Likes

So you’re saying Bill should start planning on a tranny swap…

0 Likes

No not anymore. Charlie from ATD built a stout TH400 for it now. I should have used him originally. First time I used a little trans shop in Catlett that sucked. Second time I used Rogers Automotive Racing Transmissions in Chantilly. Wayne didn’t do a very good job at all on it. Third time was Charlie at ATD in Wisconsin and he built a bullet proof trans. Never had any issues after the 3rd time so Bill probably won’t either. crosses fingers

2 Likes

Only issue so far is its leaking out the back. Prob the output shaft seal. Never gets hot on the trail though, thats for sure.

2 Likes

Some pics of the front axle truss and full hydro mount getting fitted…a lot more to be done to the front axle yet but good to see it mocked up…
IMG_20200101_171216_003 IMG_20200101_171216_006 IMG_20200101_171216_004

2 Likes