Tool Packing for MOAB 2019

planning

Starting this topic to see if we can maybe coordinate the tools we all bring so we all don’t bring a ton of the same things. This will save us weight and therefore gas, on the trip, not to mention space. So, if you are going to MOAB let’s discuss this. I think one approach could be to identify tools we know we have to have, list them up here in some sort of sign up sheet and then those that want to bring that item sign up, and others can bring other items. I don’t think we would need more than two of anything in particular.

For example:
1/2” Drive Impact Wrench and charger - 1. Joe Snuffy, 2. EATADIK
Jack Stands (2 ea) - 1. Dude 1, 2. Dude 2
Impact socket set including a variety of extensions (Deep well and short)
Breaker bars
Bottle jack
Floor Jack
Metric/Standard wrenches
Grinder/blades and spanner wrench
Spring clamps
Bearing puller/joint press
12pt 8mm sockets for Drive shafts

List can be continued and structured, but its an idea. I think we can have a central kit of fluids as well for the trail and do the same thing. For the trail only, we all will have access to O’reilly, etc for anything needed at camp. So, I don’t see a need for everyone to bring all fluids.

Interested in your thoughts.

0 Likes

My assumption is that everyone will bring a basic toolkit with wrenches, sockets, etc… But since we will all be together maybe not necessary. I know that I could use some extra space since I’m not trailering.

It’s the specialty tools that will take up space:

Extra stuff that I was planning on bringing:

Tools:

• Large adjustable wrench
  • Large pipe wrench
  • C-Clamps
  • pry bars
  • Bottle Jack (lives in the Jeep)

Fluids:

• Power steering fluid (using Swepco for the PSC system)
  • Mopar OAT coolant
  • Small bottle of brake fluid

Stuff that I will NOT bring due to lack of space or just not having them:

• Jack stands
  • Floor Jack
  • Grinder
  • Reciprocating saw

But yeah, we need to come up with a master list and then have dudes “sign-up” to bring certain items.

0 Likes

Okay, perfect. I can bring a floor Jack and 2 jack stands and the grinder. If Julio goes, he can bring one of those items. I too would bring the large adjustable and a pipe wrench, but that is what I mean, we dont need all the redundancy. Same with fluids.

So, I will start a comprehensive list to post up for all of us to sign up for. I am also planning to bring extra axle shafts and joints. Everyone is on thier own with spare parts. That said, I don’t mind strapping some axle or driveshaft down to the trailer for folks for the trip out.

0 Likes

Link to doc below. Please add what you think is needed and sign-up for the items you will bring for the group to share:

0 Likes

Since I have the trailer, and we are not sure if Julio is going or not, I will take the heavier and bulky items for now.

2 Jack Stands
Floor Jack
Face shield
Extension Chord
Pipe Wrench
Large Adjustable
Impact drill and charger
Battery operated grinder

Will bring my Grease gun (has redline grease in it)
Bearing Grease

***Everyone needs to bring their own basic tools like socket wrenches and standard sockets, screwdrivers and open/box wrenches.

0 Likes

Also - if your rig requires special weight oils or lubes, you bring that yourself. Purpose of this list is so we don’t all need to pack and bring all this shit, but that we will have it on the trail on one of our rigs available to whoever needs it. Thus saving us all weight and space.

0 Likes

Confirming I’m registered here and following. Will get a list of stuff I have tonight.

0 Likes

Yep you are in it appears

0 Likes

How’s that list coming @SirJames?

0 Likes

I read it, figured it would be best for me to just bring my own stuff since I’m not going to be there until Moab and I’m the only guy on 4.0L TJ.

Happy to sign up for stuff if y’all are cool being without it for CO though.

0 Likes

I will have a TJ too!

0 Likes

Notice I said 4.0L TJ

1 Like

James, if you don’t already have a 36mm socket in your tool bag it’s worth purchasing. That’s needed to remove the front axle nut on a D30 should you break something.

1 Like

Great call! I’ve been meaning to get one and will add it to my list.

0 Likes

knock on wood!

0 Likes

I’ll bring extension cord, torque wrench, sledge (how big?), face shield, oil, atf…list updated

0 Likes

I can’t open the list for some reason, so I have no idea what dudes are bringing and what I need to bring.

0 Likes

Doc still opens for me. Lots of stuff still available. Should I start signing up for things? I don’t want y’all to be without for CO if I bring something.

Josh, I’d bring at least a 2lb sledge, 5lb would be better.

0 Likes

I was bringing the following, tell me what I don’t need:

Cordless Impact and socket set (charger)
Cordless Angle Grinder with grind/cutting wheels
Tap and Die kit
Standard socket set/wrenches
Large Pipe wrench
Large Adjustable
2 Jack stands
floor Jack
random wrenches/pliers, etc. (bag full of shit)
Loctite Blue and Red
screw drivers
brake bleed kit (small one)
1 Gallon Air compressor
Zip ties out the ass
All fluids (steering, eng oil, diff, ATF, coolant, grease gun, bearing grease, brake)

Not bringing but we probably need:
A normal drill with drill bits (mine suck)
press for ujoints, etc
Spring clamps?

Let me know what I can not bring so I have a little less weight. The floor jack and stands take up a lot of room too.

0 Likes