Billy's JLUR Diesel

Fresh off the lot, May 20, 2020:

Intended as a DD with some light trail use, at least until my TJ breaks beyond repair. Not planning to do anything big with it right now. Just going to get it minimally trail ready.

Smittybilt X20 10K:

Cobra 29LX with overhead mount from Wayalife (aka scalp wound hazard):

That’s all for now. Probably an aluminum belly skid and some larger tires up next but it’s gonna be a slow build.

1 Like

Looks sweet! Congrats!

Do you know if it came with the aluminum steering box or did they switch to the steel steering box for the new ones yet? If it has play in the steering you may want to get the TSB done sooner than later on it.

0 Likes

I want to know all the details on the diesel aspect of this!

0 Likes

That’s awesome man

0 Likes

It does not have the new steering box, mine has the AB. So far it handles great though.

0 Likes

Sound wise I love the diesel rumble but it’s actually pretty quiet for a diesel. The extra sound proofing Jeep added keeps the interior very quiet with the hard top, don’t yet have a soft top to compare.

Milage is good. I average 21.5-22 mpg with local trips and short stints on the highway. I haven’t driven it many longer distances yet but I’ve measured it out at around 27 mpg for the few long highway trips I’ve taken.

DEF range is still in question. My DEF tank wasn’t full when I got it from the dealer but the gauge said it was 3/4 tank which should be around 3.8 gallons. That only lasted about 4k miles. Going to fill it up all the way and see how long it will last.

0 Likes

Just go ahead and put tons and 40’s on it already!

1 Like

Man, 20+ mpg. :star_struck: Have you gotten 400 miles to a tank? Don’t know how big the tanks are. My LJ gets 15mpg on a good day, which gives me about 250 miles range tops. Down here in Texas, that goes pretty fast. Is the torque there too?

0 Likes

that looks fantastic…

0 Likes

I haven’t gone more than 300 miles at a time yet so I haven’t emptied the tank on the highway. They reduced the fuel tank size to 18.5 gallons to fit the DEF tank in but it should be able to hit 450-500 miles in theory.

And yes, plenty of torque. Only been on one trail with it so far but it’s easy to spin the tires on the street.

0 Likes

That’s awesome. Wish they made a 2 door version for sure

0 Likes

A nice clean JL @Billy_S, but sell your TJ to @Tatonka and build the diesel up! :rofl:

0 Likes

Well, he just got the SuperGekko so maybe he’ll be ready to buy in about 3 weeks.

0 Likes