Clunkery in Driveline

Been out of the loop for a while working on a degree :frowning:

Something in my driveline crapped the bed while on I-66 Sunday. Doesn’t clunk if coasting in neutral. It’s a shop here in MD, and they won’t let me jack it up and try spinning the tires to do some poking around. I doubt it’s the rear DS U-joints. So, that leaves the tranny, T-case, or gears (Yukon 5.13). Any thoughts? I ask because I need to get it to another shop as the current one doesn’t work on Jeep transmissions nor do gears.

The second half has the video has the loud clunks.

0 Likes

Could he rear-end related. Could be t-case related too. We’d be happy to look at it at Bull Run 4x4 for you if you can get it to us in VA. Hard to tell by the video though.

0 Likes

Thanks, Mike. I was thinking about that while waiting for the tow and removing the front DS, but we were dealing with kids, wife, and dog on the side of the interstate, unfortunately. Tow for Jeep and trailer plus Lyft for the family were already a lot of variables to manage.

I am hoping to rule out transmission before another shop tries to sell me a 10k tranny replacement as the solution.

0 Likes

You can go back to that shop and give them a set of troubleshooting steps that you’d like them to follow. Tell them… Hey if I pay you your hourly rate can you do a video inspection report by doing the following things but not to exceed X amount of time/hours.

Give them a list of things to check. Pull the diff covers. Inspect ring & pinions and the bearings. Make sure no metal is in the fluid. Get a video.

Have them pull the driveshafts quick and unbolt the t-case to bench test it or split it to inspect the intervals. Get a video.

Do a trans service and capture all the fluid. Check for metal chucks in it to make sure it hasn’t grenaded. Get a video.

This can all be done relatively quickly in a few short hours.

We send inspections to our customers all the time this way. If a customer came to me with a specific set of asks like this, I’d happily do it if they are paying us.

0 Likes

Hey Dave, that sucks! Been a while, beats me but something broke! Good luck!

Josh

0 Likes

Thanks Josh.

I’m getting new gears and locker. But looking to upgrade the axle housing (maybe Fusion) over winter for peace of mind for towing. Hoping to get out in the woods wheeling soon!

0 Likes

When my TC linkage needed adjusting (on my TJ with 231 TC) it made the same sound under load. It was kind of halfway engaging. Stopped at a traffic light and it started to make noise when I took off. Maybe you get lucky.

0 Likes

I got the Jeep back yesterday from RnR. They said the gear set up was no bueno as in there was a high mismatch of shims on either side of the carrier and the pinion was not deep enough. So the teeth was light engagement between R&P teeth.

I am going to be changing tranny and t-case fluids this weekend along with the front diff to inspect for metal. Also gonna check the front diff gear pattern.

0 Likes

That’s decent, right?

0 Likes

@BullRunMike ??

0 Likes

Pinion looks a tad too shallow and backlash is probably a bit on the higher side based at that pattern.

2 Likes