Help! Need locker help!

I know I should know this, but I’m confused! Can someone help put it in layman’s terms and tell me exactly what I need.

I regeared and had an Eaton e-locker installed. When the locker came, it was already put together with the requested gears and such. Well, I haven’t been happy with the locker and it doesn’t work more than it works!

So, I recently bought a twin ARB air compressor so I can inflate my tires myself. After another fiasco this weekend of my locker not working, I decided I was going to upgrade. I am considering ARB air lockers since I already have the compressor.

Do the ARB lockers come with the requested gears already setup in them? Therefore, whether I stick with the 4.56 or upgrade to 4.88, I am essentially getting the same “kit”? Or is it going to be more expensive to regear at the same time and they’ll use my existing gears with the air lockers?

Also, what else do I need besides lockers/gears, and air tank? Is there anything else I need to buy to make the setup work?

Thank you in advance!

0 Likes

Kate: You can add the ARB locker to your existing gears. While an air tank is nice to have, you don’t need it, just the ARB manifold kit which connects to the twin ARB compressor. This twin compressor is nice and more than enough.
I know you have been fighting this for a while, but before spending the money on air lockers I would have a shop like Bull Run 4x4 trouble shoot the Eaton e-locker. It should work with your existing Rubicon switch.

0 Likes

Thank you! I had it fixed and working well. Halfway through a 2 day excursion this weekend, it stopped working- right in the middle of a rock garden. But it is not the same issue we diagnosed and fixed before. So frustrating!

Chaos Fab Shop in Winchester installed it for me. Do you think it’s best to take it back to them for troubleshooting, or start from scratch with a new shop?

0 Likes

If Chaos will fix it under warranty then I would take it back and have them make it right. I suspect they will find a reason to charge you for the repairs, if that’s the case, I would go to a new shop.

0 Likes

Agree. I’m not a fan of Chaos, but they should support their warranty.

0 Likes

What was the issue that was diagnosed and fixed before? Its only a two wire system on the Eaton E-locker. So either the wire got disconnected or your switch failed. Its about as simple as a locker can be, all things considered.

If Chaos won’t warranty it, bring it over to us in Haymarket at Bull Run 4x4 and I’ll fix it for you.
www.BullRun4x4.com

Just give my General Manager, a call and ask for Tiffany at 703-468-1750.

0 Likes

Like other suggestions, if you can get Chaos to make it right free of charge I would do so. I would not suggest taking anything to them though. If that isn’t an option, depending on where you are, ORI is in Winchester and does good work and stands behind their work. Or Bull Run is a good option too! Good luck with it!

0 Likes