New Build vs new jeep

Curious on opinions. Continue buggy build that’s a dedicated trail rig or sell buggy build for 2021 wrangler with 392 v8 and upgrade as daily driver.

Pro’s of buggy build is much more capable. Currently the buggy will have minimum of 42’s, rear stear, LS3, Spidertrax spider 9 axles, etc. Con’s are it’s taking longer than expected to custom order parts for my specific build and additional delays since I’m having to pay for tow truck/trailer as well. Whereas I could buy '21 wrangler with 392 and upgrade immediately to 40’s and ton’s.

0 Likes

Welcome back Matt.

Couple of these guys are towing JLs to the trails. On the recent Windrock trip I was the only one that didn’t tow. Interested in hearing the others opinions but if it was me and I already had the buggy, I would continue with the build.

0 Likes

That is what I want…it just sucks being without a off-road rig for most likely another year. And I started overthinking my build as far as having rear stear, etc. But the parts are already bought so not sure how much I could get back at this point. More of a timing decision at this point since most big ticket items are bought, but just a matter of finding time to do everything.

0 Likes

Street legal buggy is the way to go!

0 Likes

Welcome - build the buggy. The new JLs are nice but if you dont need a daily I would do the trail rig.

0 Likes

For me… I’m building an LS swapped JKUR on tons and 43’s because I wanted the best I’d both worlds. I wanted 5 seats to haul my whole family around in the woods with when the go, I still wanted to be able to take the kids into town for ice cream in a “convertible” in the summer time with something that had tags and an inspection sticker but I also wanted a JK on tons, a cage and a V8 to play with in the woods.

In the end when it’s done my Jeep will be more “buggy” than Jeep with only half doors, probably no top since I destroy every top I ever put on it when I go wheeling and lots of HP.

But… I’m still planning on towing it to the trail for piece of mind so when I’m following buggies all day and do something stupid, I don’t have to worry about getting it home. Plus driving long distances in the truck is WAY more comfortable than any distance in a JK, JL or any Jeep for that matter. Hemi or not. Having a truck and trailer also gives me flexibility to help someone out who may need to use the trailer at some point (cough cough, Ben lol) or just have a trailer to use for whatever I need (it’s been super useful to have thus far).

If it were me, I’d probably stick to buggy plan and buy a truck and trailer in preparation.

Like Mr Miyagi once said… Patience Grasshopper!

0 Likes

Throughout my wheeling experience I have a had both a street legal rig and a trail rig only. When I wheeled my street legal rig I was always worried about breaking and not being able to make it back home, so I was always cautious. It started to take the fun out of it.

So I sold it and started a trail only build. I build the base to where I could wheel and upgraded it over the years to where it sits now. The base build was completed in 2008 and I am still upgrading to this day. This approach also aloud me to fine tune things as I went.

My recommendation would be complete the base of your rig and add rear steer and all of those touches later so you can hit the trails sooner.

I also have to add in I have a mall crawling CJ to go out and get ice cream.

Just my 2 cents.

0 Likes